A collection of images of classic Rover cars, and cars that are likely to become classics, taken at numerous visits to car shows, motoring museums, motoring events and on the road when the opportunity arises.

Rover is a British automotive brand that was used for over a century, from 1904 to 2005. It was launched as a bicycle maker called Rover Company in 1878, before starting to manufacture auto cars in 1904. The brand used the Viking longship as its logo. The rights to the brand are currently part of Jaguar Land Rover, which continues to produce Land Rovers, but no Rover automobiles are currently in production and the brand is considered dormant.
Despite a state-controlled absorption by the Leyland Motor Corporation (LMC) in 1967 and subsequent mergers, nationalisation, and demergers, the Rover brand retained its identity, first as an independent subsidiary division of LMC, and subsequently through various groups within British Leyland (BL) through the 1970s and into the 1980s.
1900

Vehicle first registered on 1st December 1907.
3250cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 1st December 1907.
3250cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 1st December 1907.
3250cc petrol engine.
1920

998cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
flat twin coupe
This most unusual small car was completely unlike other Rovers before or since. It was designed by Jack Sangster, well known in the motorcycle industry as his family founded the Arial Company and he became chairman of BSA.
Sangster approached the Rover company with his design for an air-cooled flat twin car in 1919. Rover not only purchased the design but also employed him as Assistant Works Manager to oversee production of the Eight in the Tyseley factory on the outskirts of Birmingham, especially bought for this
purpose.
This was perhaps the most successful small car in Britain before the Austin Seven. Over the years the Eight was gradually reduced in price from £300 to £139 until production ceased in 1926. This coupe model was new for 1923 and was very much a de-luxe version, being fitted with a then modern self-starter.
Engine 2 cyl. 998cc. Top speed 50mph (80kph). Power 14bhp. Coachwork two-seater coupe. Price new £220. Registration mark KE 9816.

998cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
flat twin coupe
This most unusual small car was completely unlike other Rovers before or since. It was designed by Jack Sangster, well known in the motorcycle industry as his family founded the Arial Company and he became chairman of BSA.
Sangster approached the Rover company with his design for an air-cooled flat twin car in 1919. Rover not only purchased the design but also employed him as Assistant Works Manager to oversee production of the Eight in the Tyseley factory on the outskirts of Birmingham, especially bought for this
purpose.
This was perhaps the most successful small car in Britain before the Austin Seven. Over the years the Eight was gradually reduced in price from £300 to £139 until production ceased in 1926. This coupe model was new for 1923 and was very much a de-luxe version, being fitted with a then modern self-starter.
Engine 2cyl. 998cc. Top speed 50mph (80kph). Power 14bhp. Coachwork two-seater coupe. Price new £220. Registration mark KE 9816.

Vehicle first registered on 1st December 1929.
2023cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Sportsman's, 'Blue Train' model
The Rover Company introduced its first six cylinder production model in 1927. Two years later, the 'Light Six' was added to the Rover model range, featuring a two-litre engine, on a shorter chassis with higher gearing.
The Light Six was described as having remarkably lively performance. The coachwork consisted of lightweight Weymann fabric body. Production of the 'Light Six', however, only lasted for one year.
A Rover Light Six Sportsman's saloon was used by the well known motoring journalist Dudley Noble in January 1930 for his famous run from the French Riviera to Calais, racing the French luxury express, known as The Blue Train.
Noble, accompanied by Rover test driver Frank Bennett and the Daily Express motoring columnist Harold Pemberton, covered the distance of 750 miles in less than 20 hours, beating the Blue Train by 20 minutes.
This achievement attracted so much attention that this particular model of Rover cars has been known as the Rover 'Blue Train' ever since. Once assumed to be the actual Blue Train car, this particular Light Six is now not thought to be Noble's Rover.
Engine: 6 cyl. 2023cc. Top speed: 68mph (109km/h). Power: 45bhp. Coachwork: two door fabric saloon. Price new: £355. Registration mark: TM 6124.
1930

DVLA records show the vehicle as being registered on 1st September 1989.
2565cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Corsica Sedanca coupe
The Meteor was slightly bigger than contemporary Rover models. In standard form, it was offered with a choice of two wheelbase lengths and coachwork ranging from a two-seater costing £380 to a 'Regal' limousine at £537.
Rover cars did not usually have a model name so this was somewhat of an exception. 'Meteor' was derived from the traditional name for Rover's main factory, then in Coventry.
The car on display is not standard, being fitted with a specially tuned engine with three SU carburettors. The Meteor is also believed to be one of only two Rover cars fitted with the 'Sedanca coupe' body built by the London firm Corsica Coachworks.
Most of Corsica's bodies were unique, built to each customer's particular design. The term 'Sedanca' indicates that the front portion of the roof folds back, whilst the rear part is fixed.
The Meteor is believed to date from April 1930 and was originally exported to south Africa as a 21st birthday present to Miss Garlick of Cape Town. The car returned tot he UK in the 1970's and was acquired for the Trust in 1989.
Engine: 6 cyl. 2580cc. Top speed: 80mph (129km/h). Power: 65bhp. Coachwork: two-door sedanca. Price new: £438. Registration mark: DS 8171.

DVLA records show the vehicle as being registered on 1st September 1989.
2565cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Corsica Sedanca coupe
The Meteor was slightly bigger than contemporary Rover models. In standard form, it was offered with a choice of two wheelbase lengths and coachwork ranging from a two-seater costing £380 to a 'Regal' limousine at £537.
Rover cars did not usually have a model name so this was somewhat of an exception. 'Meteor' was derived from the traditional name for Rover's main factory, then in Coventry.
The car on display is not standard, being fitted with a specially tuned engine with three SU carburettors. The Meteor is also believed to be one of only two Rover cars fitted with the 'Sedanca coupe' body built by the London firm Corsica Coachworks.
Most of Corsica's bodies were unique, built to each customer's particular design. The term 'Sedanca' indicates that the front portion of the roof folds back, whilst the rear part is fixed.
The Meteor is believed to date from April 1930 and was originally exported to south Africa as a 21st birthday present to Miss Garlick of Cape Town. The car returned tot he UK in the 1970's and was acquired for the Trust in 1989.
Engine: 6 cyl. 2580cc. Top speed: 80mph (129km/h). Power: 65bhp. Coachwork: two-door sedanca. Price new: £438. Registration mark: DS 8171.

First registered 28th August 1935.
1359cc petrol engine.

First registered 28th August 1935.
1359cc petrol engine.

First registered 28th August 1935.
1359cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 7th September, 1935.
1496cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car started its life as a Rover 12 Saloon, but after being severely damaged in an accident in 1950, it was completely rebuilt at Reavell's Garage in East Horsley, Surrey. The owner of the garage, Claud Vincent Reavell, led the project to make significant changes to the car.
After the car was stripped down, the chassis was shortened by nineteen inches, the engine and gearbox lowered by four inches, the cylinder head planed down, and a new exhaust system was created to produce a better performance. The new aluminium body was made by Abbotts of Farnham, Surrey, on an ash wood frame.
Claud Reavell took the car on tour around Europe between 1953-8 a created a 'passport' for the car to record all of its journeys. Reavell toured France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece and former Yugoslavia, building up a mileage of around 150,000 miles. The adventure was reported in The Autocar magazine in August 1952.
The car was eventually sold to Don Langford in 1959, who had previously worked for Reavell and carried out much of the car's maintenance. The Langford family continued to own the car until it was donated to the museum collection in 2022.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1496cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: not quoted. Coachwork: two-seat tourer. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: CGH 837.

Vehicle first registered on 7th September, 1935.
1496cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car started its life as a Rover 12 Saloon, but after being severely damaged in an accident in 1950, it was completely rebuilt at Reavell's Garage in East Horsley, Surrey. The owner of the garage, Claud Vincent Reavell, led the project to make significant changes to the car.
After the car was stripped down, the chassis was shortened by nineteen inches, the engine and gearbox lowered by four inches, the cylinder head planed down, and a new exhaust system was created to produce a better performance. The new aluminium body was made by Abbotts of Farnham, Surrey, on an ash wood frame.
Claud Reavell took the car on tour around Europe between 1953-8 a created a 'passport' for the car to record all of its journeys. Reavell toured France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece and former Yugoslavia, building up a mileage of around 150,000 miles. The adventure was reported in The Autocar magazine in August 1952.
The car was eventually sold to Don Langford in 1959, who had previously worked for Reavell and carried out much of the car's maintenance. The Langford family continued to own the car until it was donated to the museum collection in 2022.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1496cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: not quoted. Coachwork: two-seat tourer. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: CGH 837.

Vehicle first registered on 7th September, 1935.
1496cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car started its life as a Rover 12 Saloon, but after being severely damaged in an accident in 1950, it was completely rebuilt at Reavell's Garage in East Horsley, Surrey. The owner of the garage, Claud Vincent Reavell, led the project to make significant changes to the car.
After the car was stripped down, the chassis was shortened by nineteen inches, the engine and gearbox lowered by four inches, the cylinder head planed down, and a new exhaust system was created to produce a better performance. The new aluminium body was made by Abbotts of Farnham, Surrey, on an ash wood frame.
Claud Reavell took the car on tour around Europe between 1953-8 a created a 'passport' for the car to record all of its journeys. Reavell toured France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece and former Yugoslavia, building up a mileage of around 150,000 miles. The adventure was reported in The Autocar magazine in August 1952.
The car was eventually sold to Don Langford in 1959, who had previously worked for Reavell and carried out much of the car's maintenance. The Langford family continued to own the car until it was donated to the museum collection in 2022.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1496cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: not quoted. Coachwork: two-seat tourer. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: CGH 837.

Vehicle first registered on 7th September, 1935.
1496cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car started its life as a Rover 12 Saloon, but after being severely damaged in an accident in 1950, it was completely rebuilt at Reavell's Garage in East Horsley, Surrey. The owner of the garage, Claud Vincent Reavell, led the project to make significant changes to the car.
After the car was stripped down, the chassis was shortened by nineteen inches, the engine and gearbox lowered by four inches, the cylinder head planed down, and a new exhaust system was created to produce a better performance. The new aluminium body was made by Abbotts of Farnham, Surrey, on an ash wood frame.
Claud Reavell took the car on tour around Europe between 1953-8 a created a 'passport' for the car to record all of its journeys. Reavell toured France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece and former Yugoslavia, building up a mileage of around 150,000 miles. The adventure was reported in The Autocar magazine in August 1952.
The car was eventually sold to Don Langford in 1959, who had previously worked for Reavell and carried out much of the car's maintenance. The Langford family continued to own the car until it was donated to the museum collection in 2022.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1496cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: not quoted. Coachwork: two-seat tourer. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: CGH 837.

DVLA records show the vehicle as being registered on 1st September 1981.
1577cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
By 1939, under the direction of the Wilkes brothers, spencer and Maurice, the Rover company was one of the leading independent car manufacturers in Britain.
The backbone of the Rover range was the series of three models introduced for the 1934 season - the 10hp and 12hp models which had newly designed four cylinder engines, and the 14hp model which inherited its six cylinder engine form the Rover Pilot.
Throughout the 1930's the majority of Rover cars had restrained but elegant styling, well suited to the requirements of the professional upper-middle class people who bought most of Rover's products. At times, however, even Rover would bow to fashion. The American penchant for automotive streamlining at the tie, crossed the Atlantic to the UK. Rover joined the trend and offered the fastback 'Streamline Saloon' and 'Streamline Coupe' aluminium bodies on the 14 and Speed 14 chassis during 1935-36.
The Streamline Saloon is a Speed 14 model that features a tuned, three carburettor engine giving an extra turn of pace. The Museum's volunteer restoration team are currently correcting the car's paintwork in the workshop. They are flatting and polishing the paintwork which was in a poor state.
Engine: 6cyl. 1577cc. Top speed: 82mph (132km/h). Power: 54bhp. Coachwork: Streamline saloon. Price new: £415. Registration mark: BWM 960.

DVLA records show the vehicle as being registered on 1st September 1981.
1577cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
By 1939, under the direction of the Wilkes brothers, spencer and Maurice, the Rover company was one of the leading independent car manufacturers in Britain.
The backbone of the Rover range was the series of three models introduced for the 1934 season - the 10hp and 12hp models which had newly designed four cylinder engines, and the 14hp model which inherited its six cylinder engine form the Rover Pilot.
Throughout the 1930's the majority of Rover cars had restrained but elegant styling, well suited to the requirements of the professional upper-middle class people who bought most of Rover's products. At times, however, even Rover would bow to fashion. The American penchant for automotive streamlining at the tie, crossed the Atlantic to the UK. Rover joined the trend and offered the fastback 'Streamline Saloon' and 'Streamline Coupe' aluminium bodies on the 14 and Speed 14 chassis during 1935-36.
The Streamline Saloon is a Speed 14 model that features a tuned, three carburettor engine giving an extra turn of pace. The Museum's volunteer restoration team are currently correcting the car's paintwork in the workshop. They are flatting and polishing the paintwork which was in a poor state.
Engine: 6cyl. 1577cc. Top speed: 82mph (132km/h). Power: 54bhp. Coachwork: Streamline saloon. Price new: £415. Registration mark: BWM 960.

Vehicle first registered on 11th May 1938.
1344cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car (one of 250 built for the 1938 model year), dates from October 1937, as "next year's" models were always released at the Motor Show in October.
The coupe's had very attractive lines in a 2 door cabin that resembled those of the 4 door saloons, yet used the same chassis. They featured a plain boot with the spare wheel stored upright at the back.
GHK 635 has been known to Rover Sports Register since 1980 and has been with its current owner since 1994.

Vehicle first registered on 11th May 1938.
1344cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
This car (one of 250 built for the 1938 model year), dates from October 1937, as "next year's" models were always released at the Motor Show in October.
The coupe's had very attractive lines in a 2 door cabin that resembled those of the 4 door saloons, yet used the same chassis. They featured a plain boot with the spare wheel stored upright at the back.
GHK 635 has been known to Rover Sports Register since 1980 and has been with its current owner since 1994.
1940

Vehicle first registered on 3rd March 1948.
2103cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Four-light Sports Saloon
"One of Britain's fine cars - now made finer" was the slogan which introduced Rover's P3 models in 1948. This was the first proper post-war model introduced by the Rover Company, although the styling closely followed the well established traditions of the pre-war period. Under the traditional skin was a new chassis with independent front suspension and a new engine which, for the first time on a Rover production car, employed overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
There were two models in the range, the six cylinder '75' and the four-cylinder '60', both sharing the same chassis and bodies. There was a choice of two body styles, this four-light (two windows on each side) saloon, sometimes called the sports saloon and a six-light saloon.
The P3 models were in production for less than two years, replaced at the 1949 Motor Show by the first of the P4 models. This particular car was only the sixth example of the model to be made and was originally supplied to Spencer Wilkes, at the time the Managing Director of the Rover Company.
Engine: 6cyl. 2103cc. Top speed: 75mph (121km/h). Power: 75bhp. Coachwork: four-door sports saloon. Price new: £1,105. Registration mark: GUE 383.

Vehicle first registered on 3rd March 1948.
2103cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Four-light Sports Saloon
"One of Britain's fine cars - now made finer" was the slogan which introduced Rover's P3 models in 1948. This was the first proper post-war model introduced by the Rover Company, although the styling closely followed the well established traditions of the pre-war period. Under the traditional skin was a new chassis with independent front suspension and a new engine which, for the first time on a Rover production car, employed overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
There were two models in the range, the six cylinder '75' and the four-cylinder '60', both sharing the same chassis and bodies. There was a choice of two body styles, this four-light (two windows on each side) saloon, sometimes called the sports saloon and a six-light saloon.
The P3 models were in production for less than two years, replaced at the 1949 Motor Show by the first of the P4 models. This particular car was only the sixth example of the model to be made and was originally supplied to Spencer Wilkes, at the time the Managing Director of the Rover Company.
Engine: 6cyl. 2103cc. Top speed: 75mph (121km/h). Power: 75bhp. Coachwork: four-door sports saloon. Price new: £1,105. Registration mark: GUE 383.

Vehicle first registered on 3rd March 1948.
2103cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Four-light Sports Saloon
"One of Britain's fine cars - now made finer" was the slogan which introduced Rover's P3 models in 1948. This was the first proper post-war model introduced by the Rover Company, although the styling closely followed the well established traditions of the pre-war period. Under the traditional skin was a new chassis with independent front suspension and a new engine which, for the first time on a Rover production car, employed overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.
There were two models in the range, the six cylinder '75' and the four-cylinder '60', both sharing the same chassis and bodies. There was a choice of two body styles, this four-light (two windows on each side) saloon, sometimes called the sports saloon and a six-light saloon.
The P3 models were in production for less than two years, replaced at the 1949 Motor Show by the first of the P4 models. This particular car was only the sixth example of the model to be made and was originally supplied to Spencer Wilkes, at the time the Managing Director of the Rover Company.
Engine: 6cyl. 2103cc. Top speed: 75mph (121km/h). Power: 75bhp. Coachwork: four-door sports saloon. Price new: £1,105. Registration mark: GUE 383.

First registered 14th July, 1948.
1595cc petrol engine.

First registered 14th July, 1948.
1595cc petrol engine.

Image taken at Bearsted Classic Car Show, Bearsted Green, Kent, on 25th July 2022. First registered 9th March, 1949. 2601cc petrol engine.

Image taken at Bearsted Classic Car Show, Bearsted Green, Kent, on 25th July 2022. First registered 9th March, 1949. 2601cc petrol engine.

Image taken at the Heritage Transport Show, Detling, Kent, on 6th April 2024. First registered 9th March, 1949. 2601cc petrol engine.

Image taken at Bearsted Classic Car Show, Bearsted Green, Kent, on 25th July 2022. First registered 9th March, 1949. 2601cc petrol engine.
1950

Vehicle first registered in November 1951.
2995cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Originally based on the early Rover P4 75 saloon, the Marauder was Rover's bold venture to build a quality sports tourer. It was conceived by three Rover employees: George Mackie, Spen King and Peter Wilks (the nephew of Rover's managing director).
The three men's connections helped them to secure a supply of chassis, engines and other parts from the Rover company. Manufacturing started in Dorridge in a factory owned by Richard Mead, who also made the bodywork. Production was later continued in Kenilworth, Warwickshire.
The car was launched to the press in August 1950 and a Marauder was displayed at the Geneva Motor Show in the following spring. The success they hoped for, however, was not forthcoming as the Marauder turned out to be rather expensive. Just fifteen cars (including the prototype) were made before production ceased in 1952, but at least 12 survive today.
The car on display had eight owners before it was acquired for the Museum's collection. It was originally supplied by Bambers of Southport to Mr William Watts, a dental surgeon in Belfast, but in 1974 it was most notably purchased by George Mackie, one of the Marauder's original designers. Mackie completely restored the car before selling it on in 1985.
Engine: 6cyl. 2995cc. Top speed: 100mph (160km/h). Power:115bhp. Coachwork: Three-seater tourer. Price new: £1,332. Registration mark: HFY 330.

Vehicle first registered in November 1951.
2995cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Originally based on the early Rover P4 75 saloon, the Marauder was Rover's bold venture to build a quality sports tourer. It was conceived by three Rover employees: George Mackie, Spen King and Peter Wilks (the nephew of Rover's managing director).
The three men's connections helped them to secure a supply of chassis, engines and other parts from the Rover company. Manufacturing started in Dorridge in a factory owned by Richard Mead, who also made the bodywork. Production was later continued in Kenilworth, Warwickshire.
The car was launched to the press in August 1950 and a Marauder was displayed at the Geneva Motor Show in the following spring. The success they hoped for, however, was not forthcoming as the Marauder turned out to be rather expensive. Just fifteen cars (including the prototype) were made before production ceased in 1952, but at least 12 survive today.
The car on display had eight owners before it was acquired for the Museum's collection. It was originally supplied by Bambers of Southport to Mr William Watts, a dental surgeon in Belfast, but in 1974 it was most notably purchased by George Mackie, one of the Marauder's original designers. Mackie completely restored the car before selling it on in 1985.
Engine: 6cyl. 2995cc. Top speed: 100mph (160km/h). Power:115bhp. Coachwork: Three-seater tourer. Price new: £1,332. Registration mark: HFY 330.

Vehicle first registered in November 1951.
2995cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Originally based on the early Rover P4 75 saloon, the Marauder was Rover's bold venture to build a quality sports tourer. It was conceived by three Rover employees: George Mackie, Spen King and Peter Wilks (the nephew of Rover's managing director).
The three men's connections helped them to secure a supply of chassis, engines and other parts from the Rover company. Manufacturing started in Dorridge in a factory owned by Richard Mead, who also made the bodywork. Production was later continued in Kenilworth, Warwickshire.
The car was launched to the press in August 1950 and a Marauder was displayed at the Geneva Motor Show in the following spring. The success they hoped for, however, was not forthcoming as the Marauder turned out to be rather expensive. Just fifteen cars (including the prototype) were made before production ceased in 1952, but at least 12 survive today.
The car on display had eight owners before it was acquired for the Museum's collection. It was originally supplied by Bambers of Southport to Mr William Watts, a dental surgeon in Belfast, but in 1974 it was most notably purchased by George Mackie, one of the Marauder's original designers. Mackie completely restored the car before selling it on in 1985.
Engine: 6cyl. 2995cc. Top speed: 100mph (160km/h). Power:115bhp. Coachwork: Three-seater tourer. Price new: £1,332. Registration mark: HFY 330.

First registered 24th February 1953.
2103cc petrol engine.

First registered 24th February 1953.
2103cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 29th March 1955.
2638cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 29th March 1955.
2638cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 29th March 1955.
2638cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 6th June 1955.
1997cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
As sales of the Land Rover flourished in the early 1950's, Rover began to explore the concept of a new model which would be positioned between its car range and the Land Rover models. It was to be more car-like but retaining the cross-country abilities of the Land Rover, without its utilitarian image. Rover settled on the name 'Road Rover' for the project, which it began in 1952.
The initial Road Rover design was based on a modified P4 car chassis, fitted with a Land Rover engine. Initially four-wheel drive was planned but most prototypes had rear-wheel drive only. The austere and simple body was nicknamed 'Greenhouse'. In common with its sister Land Rover, with which it shares a resemblance, the first Road Rover made use of aluminium body panels.
By 1955 Rover took a different approach to the project, the later series II prototypes taking styling cues from the American station wagon. The Road Rover project was finally abandoned in 1959, although only a few years later the work would begin on ideas for the Range Rover, which would span the gap between car and 4x4 vehicle which Rover had identified nearly two decades earlier.
SNX 36 is the last and only survivor of the 12 series I prototypes. It was used by Bertie Marks, Solihull's Transport Manager, for some time after formal testing was over, before returning to Rover.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1997cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: 52bhp. Coachwork: estate. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: SNX 36.

Vehicle first registered on 6th June 1955.
1997cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
As sales of the Land Rover flourished in the early 1950's, Rover began to explore the concept of a new model which would be positioned between its car range and the Land Rover models. It was to be more car-like but retaining the cross-country abilities of the Land Rover, without its utilitarian image. Rover settled on the name 'Road Rover' for the project, which it began in 1952.
The initial Road Rover design was based on a modified P4 car chassis, fitted with a Land Rover engine. Initially four-wheel drive was planned but most prototypes had rear-wheel drive only. The austere and simple body was nicknamed 'Greenhouse'. In common with its sister Land Rover, with which it shares a resemblance, the first Road Rover made use of aluminium body panels.
By 1955 Rover took a different approach to the project, the later series II prototypes taking styling cues from the American station wagon. The Road Rover project was finally abandoned in 1959, although only a few years later the work would begin on ideas for the Range Rover, which would span the gap between car and 4x4 vehicle which Rover had identified nearly two decades earlier.
SNX 36 is the last and only survivor of the 12 series I prototypes. It was used by Bertie Marks, Solihull's Transport Manager, for some time after formal testing was over, before returning to Rover.
Engine: 4 cyl. 1997cc. Top speed: not quoted. Power: 52bhp. Coachwork: estate. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: SNX 36.

Vehicle first registered on 13th November 1956.
1800cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Rover's gas turbine development programme stemmed from work on Whittle jet engines during the Second World War. Their first turbine car, built in 1950 and called JET 1, achieved more than 150mph in speed tests at Jabbeke in Belgium in 1952.
T3 was Rover's third turbine car, designed by Spencer King and Gordon Bashford. The turbine is rear-mounted and the chassis incorporates four-wheel drive and De Dion rear suspension. The modified 2S/100 gas turbine has a centrifugal compressor which rotates at up to a maximum of 52,000 rpm. All this new technology was clothed in a pretty glass-fibre coupe body.
Many ideas found a place in the Rover 2000 range of saloon cars. Among these were four-wheel disc brakes, all coil spring suspension and De Dion suspension at the rear.
The car was a perfectly usable road car, even though paraffin consumption was unacceptably high. With fuel economy f just 13-14 miles to the gallon at most, gas turbines have never been practical as production cars.
Engine: twin shaft turbine. Top speed: 100mph (161kph). Power: 100bhp. Coachwork: two-seater coupe. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: VAC 905.

Vehicle first registered on 13th November 1956.
1800cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Rover's gas turbine development programme stemmed from work on Whittle jet engines during the Second World War. Their first turbine car, built in 1950 and called JET 1, achieved more than 150mph in speed tests at Jabbeke in Belgium in 1952.
T3 was Rover's third turbine car, designed by Spencer King and Gordon Bashford. The turbine is rear-mounted and the chassis incorporates four-wheel drive and De Dion rear suspension. The modified 2S/100 gas turbine has a centrifugal compressor which rotates at up to a maximum of 52,000 rpm. All this new technology was clothed in a pretty glass-fibre coupe body.
Many ideas found a place in the Rover 2000 range of saloon cars. Among these were four-wheel disc brakes, all coil spring suspension and De Dion suspension at the rear.
The car was a perfectly usable road car, even though paraffin consumption was unacceptably high. With fuel economy f just 13-14 miles to the gallon at most, gas turbines have never been practical as production cars.
Engine: twin shaft turbine. Top speed: 100mph (161kph). Power: 100bhp. Coachwork: two-seater coupe. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: VAC 905.

First registered 1st January 1957.
1997cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered 25th March 1959.
2230cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered 25th March 1959.
2230cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered 25th March 1959.
2230cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered 25th March, 1959.
2230cc petrol engine.

First registered 17th April 1959.
1997cc petrol engine.

First registered 17th April 1959.
1997cc petrol engine.

First registered 21st April, 1959.
2638cc petrol engine.
1960

Vehicle first registered on 1st November 1961.
1857cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Rover was a pioneer in gas-turbine technology for road vehicles. The T4 saloon was their fourth and last prototype for a road-going turbine car, although in 1963 they c-operated with BRM in constructing a racing car for Le Mans. They also produced a small small series of gas-turbine lorries from 1968-69 in co-operation with Leyland Vehicles, before development of the engines was finally dropped in the early 70's.
The T4 was based on the 2000 prototype and was unveiled two years before the conventional 2000 production model actually reached the market. The 2S/140 turbine engine drives the front wheels and rear suspension is independent with swing axles. Kerosene consumption is in the range of 16-20 miles per gallon.
Rover claimed that the T4 could be produced in three years if the market was ready to accept it, at a price of £3,000-4,000. The most expensive Rover in production at the time cost £1,948. In fact, Rover had already abandoned any hope of putting a turbine engine car into production.
Engine: twin shaft gas turbine. Top speed: 115mph (185kph). Power: 140bhp. Coachwork: four door saloon. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: 6427 WD.

Vehicle first registered on 1st November 1961.
1857cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Rover was a pioneer in gas-turbine technology for road vehicles. The T4 saloon was their fourth and last prototype for a road-going turbine car, although in 1963 they c-operated with BRM in constructing a racing car for Le Mans. They also produced a small small series of gas-turbine lorries from 1968-69 in co-operation with Leyland Vehicles, before development of the engines was finally dropped in the early 70's.
The T4 was based on the 2000 prototype and was unveiled two years before the conventional 2000 production model actually reached the market. The 2S/140 turbine engine drives the front wheels and rear suspension is independent with swing axles. Kerosene consumption is in the range of 16-20 miles per gallon.
Rover claimed that the T4 could be produced in three years if the market was ready to accept it, at a price of £3,000-4,000. The most expensive Rover in production at the time cost £1,948. In fact, Rover had already abandoned any hope of putting a turbine engine car into production.
Engine: twin shaft gas turbine. Top speed: 115mph (185kph). Power: 140bhp. Coachwork: four door saloon. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: 6427 WD.

First registered 29th March, 1962.
2625cc petrol engine.

First registered 29th March, 1962.
2625cc petrol engine.

First registered 29th March, 1962.
2625cc petrol engine.

First registered 9th November, 1962.
2625cc petrol engine.

First registered 9th November, 1962.
2625cc petrol engine.

The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Rover's most exciting gas turbine car was made in partnership with the Owen organisation. Owen supplied a widened BRM Grand Prix car chassis (from Richie Ginther's car which he had crashed at Monaco in 1962) and two drivers, Ginther and Graham Hill. When Hill tested the car at MIRA he described the experience, "You're sitting in this thing that you might call a motor car and the next minute it sounds as if you've got a [Boeing] 707 just behind you, about to suck you up and devour you like an enormous monster."
The car was first entered for the Le Mans 24-hour race in 1963 and, because it required special permission from the organisers to take part, raced unofficially as number '00'. It came in 8th, gaining the special prize for the first gas turbine to finish the race.
For 1964 it was fitted with a new coupe body designed by Williams Towns. The engine was modified to incorporate a heat exchanger, with cutting edge ceramic discs made by Corning of America.
In 1965 it ran in the 2-litre class, with drivers Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart. In spite of overheating and some damage to the turbine blades from debris, the Rover-BRM survived the 24 hours at an average speed of 98.8mph (159kph), achieving 10th place, the highest placed British car.
Engine: twin shaft gas turbine. Top speed: 142mph (229kph). Power: 145bhp. Coachwork: Le Mans Coupe. Price new: not quoted. Registration mark: none.

Vehicle first registered on 1st April, 1964.
2625cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 1st April, 1964.
2625cc petrol engine.

DVLA records show the vehicle to have been registered on 2nd December, 1983.
2625cc petrol engine.

First registered 10th February, 1969.
3528cc petrol engine.
1970

First registered 1st March, 1970.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 6th August, 1970.
3529cc petrol engine.

First registered 21st August, 1970.
1978cc petrol engine.

3528cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Rover's P5 design originated in the 1950's and was first introduced with a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine. It was always rather underpowered and this problem was not finally overcome until Rover bought the design rights to a 3.5 litre all-aluminium V8 engine which had been discarded by the Buick division of the American General Motors Corporation.
The V8 engine went into the 3.5 litre model introduced in 1967, together with a new Borg-Warner automatic gearbox which was standard equipment - a manual version was never offered. In this form the 3.5 litre was made until 1973, with a total number of 18,536 cars being made.
The 3.5 litre offered luxurious and dignified motoring with a good turn of speed. It was often chauffeur driven and found its own niche in a very select market. This particular car was the personal property of Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and is finished a special dark green colour. Inside there is other extra equipment fitted such as a radio/telephone. When the car was in service, a discreet blue light in the windscreen was installed.
Engine V8 cyl. 3528cc. Top speed 108mph (174kph) Power 184bhp. Coachwork four door saloon. Price new £2,461. Registration mark JGY 280.

3528cc petrol engine.
The notice displayed with the vehicle states:
Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Rover's P5 design originated in the 1950's and was first introduced with a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine. It was always rather underpowered and this problem was not finally overcome until Rover bought the design rights to a 3.5 litre all-aluminium V8 engine which had been discarded by the Buick division of the American General Motors Corporation.
The V8 engine went into the 3.5 litre model introduced in 1967, together with a new Borg-Warner automatic gearbox which was standard equipment - a manual version was never offered. In this form the 3.5 litre was made until 1973, with a total number of 18,536 cars being made.
The 3.5 litre offered luxurious and dignified motoring with a good turn of speed. It was often chauffeur driven and found its own niche in a very select market. This particular car was the personal property of Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and is finished a special dark green colour. Inside there is other extra equipment fitted such as a radio/telephone. When the car was in service, a discreet blue light in the windscreen was installed.
Engine V8 cyl. 3528cc. Top speed 108mph (174kph) Power 184bhp. Coachwork four door saloon. Price new £2,461. Registration mark JGY 280.

First registered 12th January, 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 12th January, 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 5th February 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 5th February 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 6th April, 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 29th April, 1971.
3529cc petrol engine.

First registered 29th April, 1971.
3529cc petrol engine.

First registered 1st August 1971.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered on 11th August 1971.
3531cc petrol engine.

First registered on 11th August 1971.
3531cc petrol engine.

First registered 3rd January 1972.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 20th June 1972.
3529cc petrol engine.

First registered 20th June 1972.
3529cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 14th July, 1972.
3528cc petrol engine.

Vehicle first registered on 14th July, 1972.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 3rd August, 1972.
1978cc petrol engine.

First registered on 1st November 1972.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 4th April, 1973.
2204cc petrol engine.

First registered 11th July, 1973.
3528cc petrol engine.

First registered 11th July, 1973.
3528cc petrol engine.
1980

Vehicle first registered 29th November 1983.
3500cc petrol engine (from DVLA records).

First registered 13th March 1986.
3500cc petrol engine.

First registered 13th March 1986.
3500cc petrol engine.

First registered 13th March 1986.
3500cc petrol engine.

First registered 1st September 1986.
3500cc petrol engine.
1990
2000 onwards

First registered 29th March 2004.
2497cc petrol engine.

First registered 29th March 2004.
2497cc petrol engine.